6 Problems With Your Shingles That You’ll Need to Keep Your Eyes Open For
Nobody wants to deal with a problematic roof, but if it’s been a few years since you last went up there and had a good look around, or hired a company to do all of that for you, you could be faced with expensive repairs that are going to be time-consuming and potentially very problematic.
There are times than you should check your cladding — and the rest of your roof — to ensure that you solve potential problems fast —
1 - After a period of heavy rain, high winds, snow, hailstorms, etc.
Essentially, any kind of bad weather could wreak havoc on your home, and it doesn’t take very strong wind to damage shingles that have already become weak or damaged over time.
2 - At least once per year.
Ideally, you’ll want to do this inspection before the seasons change from fall to winter. This is when any animal intruders are probably going to try and break into your home, and it’s also when any problems that cropped up in the spring and summer wreak the worst havoc. The rain comes, as does the cold temperatures. If you’re unlucky, your roof will let in the rain, might let the hot air escape and make you spend more on your heating bills, and could even suffer with major structural problems if ice dams become a problem, or if snow/ice causes further damage to a weakened roof.
3 - Twice per year if you have these problems …
… moss growth, algae growth, overhanging tree branches, lots of trees in the area, a buildup of garden debris in your guttering, and recent animal intruders. A problem that hasn’t been solved correctly is likely to return quite quickly, and that’s why we recommend follow-up inspections after you think any problems have been sorted out.
6 COMMON ROOF SHINGLE PROBLEMS
1. Algae and moss - this usually grows in areas that are shadowed, cool, and damp. You can prevent algae and moss growth with copper and zinc strips affixed to the top of the roof, and there are also various liquid products that you can use to treat your roof. The latter option isn’t advised in areas close to bodies of water, for fears of contamination.
2. Broken shingles — broken shingles can happen for any number of reasons, including high winds setting things flying, tree branches repeatedly bashing on the roof, heavy scraping for moss removal, standing or walking on the roof, and much more besides. Even animals can break already weak shingles. Shingles can be repaired fairly inexpensively, and it will cost you a lot more in the long run if you ignore the problem and hope it goes away. It won’t.
3. Drooping or sagging shingles — if there appears to be any kind of rippling or dropping of the shingles on your roof, there’s a very high chance it’ll be down to the sheathing below it. This could have moved, become weak, or have sagged as a result of too much weight or water damage, among other things.
4. Bulging shingles — pay special attention to the edges of the individual shingles; if they are bulging out in any way, it’s time for a closer inspection. This could be a sign that something isn’t right with the shingles, or that they have been affected by the weather, particularly temperature extremes.
5. Upturned shingles — these ones are going to be easily captured by the wind, and could end up being ripped right away from your roof. There are many reasons behind this, and it’s a fairly common roof shingle problem too. The adhesive that’s meant to keep the shingle to the sheathing could have deteriorated, or the attic/space below could have an excess of moisture, possibly down to a leak or bad ventilation.
6. Cracked shingles — this is actually very common in roofs that have been on the building for a long time. Over time, all roof types will deteriorate, and this can happen much faster with certain types of shingle. If cracks are only happening on one or two of the shingles, you might be able to get away with just replacing them, but if it is happening all across the roof, it might be time for a replacement.
Visit our Roof Contractor home page to learn more about us, or hire a local professional from over 100 USA locations.
We rely on expert craftsmanship to go along with quality products from reputable brands in the industry to take care of your roofing needs.
Shingle replacement and repair of roof damage.
Complete roof replacement with roof deck repair.
Installation of skylights, vents, gutters, fascia, etc.
Call us 24/7/365. We have roofing technicians in over 100 US locations who can provide fast service. Find Your Local Pro